Friday, May 21, 2010

May 21, 2010

Thanks for checking in.
I got my first opinion yesterday from U of MD and they say chemo is the only route right now. The medical oncologist there suggests a protocol called modified DCF (which includes three drugs Docetaxel, Cisplatin, and Five-fluorouracil). I would need to go in on Wednesdays and Fridays every two weeks. The chemo may work well enough for some radiation to be added as an option as well . . . possibly later.
I am having a VERY hard time swallowing; the consensus seems to be a feeding tube which is easily removed (versus a stent, which would open the esophagus, but has a lot of other downsides like moving, etc.). Although the idea of a feeding tube does not sound exciting to me, I need to be well-nourished in order to take the chemo. It will also allow me to take my other medicines (which I've been unable to swallow).
The doctor with whom I talked who would do the feeding tube insertion has an opening on Tuesday of next week and his assumption is that if all goes well, I will be able to make my second opinion meeting at Johns Hopkins two days later (next Thursday) and then I'll have some big decisions to make . . . like starting a treatment plan. But at least I will be nourished.

So thanks for your thoughts and prayers . . . I need and appreciate them.
Love,
Bob

4 comments:

  1. Lots of prayers and affirmations coming your way. You're right -- in order for your body to 'use' the chemo against the cancer, you must be well-nourished. Blessings, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,

    About seven years ago, John's brother in law was diagnosed with some sort of cancer in his neck and had some of his neck muscles removed on one side. This took away his ability to eat anything solid for over a year. He would go to a restaurant with us and not order anything at all. He had a feeding tube and that and Cathie's love and care for him is what pulled him through. He became very, very thin and at times it was really tough to keep up his energy but he's fine now and eats normally, enjoying every bite.

    I want everyone to know that yesterday, when I saw you, I thought you looked fabulous and I told you so. I can now hug you and not be poked in my tummy by your tummy. Your skin is glowing and your eyes are bright. Although it's hard to witness how much of an effort it is for you to speak and eat, probably two of your favorite three activities, I know that this is only temporary. We are praying for you daily, and holding you close to our hearts. - Suzie and John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,

    I have followed everything that you have written, and you are in my thoughts and prayers as many others are. It is a rough time, but you are a fighter, and I am here if you need me for anything. If you want company or whatever.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob,

    Keep fighting and living. You are an inspiration!

    Brad J.

    ReplyDelete