Friday, May 14, 2010

May 14, 2010

The lymph nodes in my neck are positive for adenocarcinoma. The surgeon at U of MD has sort written me off and suggested that I meet with my Medical Oncologist, which, of course, I did not have. He has scheduled an appointment with Dr. Naomi Horiba for May 20. I now have an appointment for a second opinion at Johns Hopkins (May 27) with the Medical Oncologist Dr. Rosalyn Juergens (who comes highly recommended from a poker buddy of many years -- she is treating his wife's lung cancer). I understand that Dr. Stephen Yang (Surgical Oncologist) is reviewing all my records and will be in touch with a second opinion from JH regarding surgery.

I am doing a lot of reading, have lost over 30 lbs. (while that is likely a good end result, try YOUR best NOT to accomplish it through cancer), am trying to eat a lot healthier and have attempted to change my body from acidic to alkaline, which is on advice from a Native American Medicine Chief with whom I met last week.

My main concerns right now are three-fold. First, I am not eating very much. It is difficult for me to swallow anything but liquids (although last night I did manage to do some broccoli, spaghetti and black beans) and I must do so in very small quantities at a time, chewing them endlessly (or so it seems). So, in some ways, I am feeling like I might be dehydrated and/or malnourished. I have been sipping Ensure and other protein items, eating a lot of blended soups, etc. I think I need to drink more water, which, for some reason, is not one of my favorite activities.
Second, I don't know who or what to believe. The amount of information I receive (and seek out) on a daily basis is immense and most kind souls seem to have the ONLY answer. I am reading Norman Cousin's Anatomy of an Illness, have downloaded and watched several really FUNNY movies and laughed a lot, have been affirming that "Every day, in every way, I am getting better and better and stronger and stronger," and, although somedays I don't feel a lot better, I continue to instruct my body to do so.
Third, if I am relegated to chemotherapy ONLY from the medical side of things (which is the recommendation from the first surgical oncologist at U of MD), I worry about what that will do to me. I have also been reading a book by Raymond Francis (called Never Be Sick Again) who purports that there is only ONE disease and two causes. The one disease is cell malfunction; the causes: toxicity or malnutrition. So therefore, he is opposed to chemotherapy which puts poisons in your body to kill the cancer (and a lot of good stuff too).
These seeming contradictions put me in a quandary about which efforts to "approve" and which to postpone or say "no" to or . . . Yikes!

Barbara and the boys (as well as extended family and friends) have been WONDERFUL. Very concerned and thoughtful . . . and so encouraging.

Please continue to keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

Bob

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bob... Bob Jr and I had a great "healing, alkanizing soup" for lunch made in the Vita Mix. We figured we'd try it out first to see if it was any good....and it was Great.. Bobby loved it...the recipe is at www.rawglow.com/recipe20.htm When using your vita mix blender you only need to clean the veggies...don't even chop them up just throw them in whole, everything is pulverized in seconds. If you leave the blender running for 3-4 minutes straight you'll have warm soup... try not to heat your veggies up to boiling point, you'll exterminate the nutrients.... just warm/hot enough to swallow. This soup is fabulous.. I pulverized, high, everything for 4 minutes... the easiest way to clean the vita mix is just fill it half way with water and add dish washing liquod and turn it on high for a minute or two... rinse and you're done... easy...any questions? call me...I've had my Vita Mix for 20 years.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lynda.
    I used the Vita Mix first thing this morning and it is wonderful! Many thanks. I will try the soup recipe sometime soon. I bought a large soup at David's Natural Market yesterday, so I am going to blend that today.
    Love, Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - 30 lbs! I'll follow your advice, though on the method. So, are you looking 'buff'? :)

    You really think the guy at MD has written you off? I hope not. If so, walk, no RUN to someone with a better attitude. ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING! Surround yourself with those of great attitudes: you deserve nothing less.

    I think you're doing all the right things. Talk to everyone, listen, and use what you can.

    Meanwhile, I've 'bookmarked' your blog. If you'd like a laugh or two -- or maybe just a smile (okay -- a freakin snicker) take a look at mine. Particularly this posting: http://kathyspeace.blogspot.com/2010/05/gardeners-protection-program.html.

    And know that I'm here if you or Barbara need me. Kath

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I've already told you so, I am here for any need. Carry out the trash? I can do that. Need a ride somewhere? I can do that. Need someone to answer the phone if you cannot be in the office? I can do that. Just lemmeknow! KBR "Have Truck, Will Travel."

    ReplyDelete